Many patients today wonder how their medical information is being used. Fortunately, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) provide guidelines that must be followed by healthcare providers across the country to keep the privacy of your personal data, including current, past, or future medical conditions, health care treatments, and payments for services, procedures, or medications. Here at All City Pharmacy, we respect your privacy and follow all established guidelines.
HIPPA Disclosures and Use
We have the right to release your protected health information in each of the following circumstances:
- Payment or reimbursement for received services
- Reimbursement for payment on covered services
- Service, treatment, and prescription refills or script changes
- In-house health care operations for your care, including services, gilling, and treatments
- When required by the law, we can share your protected information with legal officials
- Sharing your information with caregivers you identify
- Public health reporting to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration or public health agency
- Reporting of abuse or neglect victims to the appropriate office
- Health care oversight permits dispersal of your information for the purposes of inspections, investigations, audits, criminal proceedings, licensure, and administrative measures
- Legal proceedings in which you are involved
- Law enforcement reports involving injuries
- Sharing protected information from deceased persons to medical examiners, coroners, and funeral directors is permitted.
- Research projects.
- Safety threats to your health or other individuals
- Government security involving national security or specialized government affairs
- Inmate health information can be shared with the correctional institution
- Worker’s compensation validation
Individual Rights and Responsibilities
When using any of the following rights or responsibilities, you must provide your request in writing:
- The right to inspect and/or copy your personal health data (30-day turnaround)
- Amendment requests are permitted for verifiable information
- Private communication of your information can be requested if you would like to maintain confidentiality
- You have the right to requests limits on information dispersal, but we have the right to refuse
- A listing of all disclosures is available for your review
- Right to breach notification at the time it occurs
- Right to receive a paper copy of this HIPPA notification
Patient Authorization Requirements
If we intend to use your personal data for marketing purposes, we must obtain prior authorization from you. Likewise, we cannot sell your protected health information (PHI) without your permission. Even if you provide authorization, you can change your mind at a later date to revoke it.
If you have concerns that the privacy of your personal information has been affected, you have the right to file a complaint to our office. If you are not satisfied with the results, you have the right to contact the Pharmacy Board in your state.
Here at All City Pharmacy, we value your privacy. If you have any questions, please contact us for more information.